24 October 2011

back on track

Life happens and it's not always pretty.  I don't know why things happen the way they do but I do know that I can't change them.  I also know that in my life I am beyond blessed.  I can't let the black cloud of the last few weeks let me lose sight of this.  I feel myself falling in the familiar hole of anxiety and depression and not only do I have a feisty 20 month old counting on me but I also have daughter who needs me to keep my body as healthy as possible while she's hitching a ride. 

I can't control my universe but I can control what I choose to focus on.

That being said here we go.

This Christmas we are going on the cheap.  Last year we spent hundreds of dollars on gifts and then over on $100 shipping.  It's just too much so this year we are sending individual gifts to all the kids who sent a thank you card....zero. Or even a phone call to say thank you....again zero.  I kind of feel bad but not too bad.  I've decided that I am going to make each family a big plate of Christmas cookies and call it a day. 

I am way too excited about this, I have been pinning on Pinterest like it's my job.  I've made over 10 recipes that I found so far and haven't been disappointed yet.  (I also have a board of cocktails that I can't wait to try after #2 is born.)  Here are the cookies I am planning on making for everyone:

 Colorful spiral cookies but I think I'll keep the sprinkles red and green.

I pretty much will have my work cut out for me, I have about 10 houses to bake for.  Lately I've found baking to be a nice escape - just me in the kitchen with mixing bowls and flour everywhere, the hum of my stand mixer and when I bake these there will be some Christmas music playing.  Next year TC will be old enough to help, I tried to have her help a few weeks ago and she almost ate a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice.  While I can't wait to bake with my daughters I will enjoy my last holiday season without any helpers.

Oh and the other great thing about this, I need to practice so we are going to be eating a lot of cookies!

Has anyone done this on such a large scale before?  Am I totally nuts for trying this at 36+ weeks pregnant?  Can't be any more stressful than braving the stores. And if you have any tips for shipping that would be great too, will standard shipping be alright or should I express them?

I am a little too excited for Christmas this year.  Not only will it be Christmas but we will be adding to our family - what's better than that?

5 comments:

  1. Ummmmm... those look amazing! And yes, I think you are slightly nuts because baking at 36 weeks prego is not my idea of a good time. But you could always bake early and freeze them until you are ready to ship? So you don't have to do it all in one or two days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bake to relax and I've shipped my baking all over the world. First, vacuum seal the plates of cookies and you will not need to express mail them! My other tip, start baking now and freeze the cookies until time to ship, or make all the dough now, freeze it, and then just bake it as you have time closer to the holidays.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I did the day before having JJ. I wanted to bring a ton of goodies to the hospital for the staff because I knew they would be working over Christmas Eve and Christmas. I also did this as a gift for family and friends that year since we were obviously going to be in the hospital having our Christmas baby! It was wonderful and so so so much fun! I love your cookie ideas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike! Mike and I were JUST talking this morning about this and we decided to get a little something for our parents and then I am just going to do baked goods for "family gifts". No more buying for the nieces and nephews and little cousins. We just can't afford it! and I totally agree that it's so rude to not have your kid at least call and say thank you (assuming they are old enough). I remember sending my sister $20 for her 12th birthday and never getting a phone call or anything. When I called her to say Happy Birthday I asked if she got our card and she just said "Yeah". WTF! I was so pissed. Ungrateful.

    I wrote out thank you cards "from Celia" last year and she was only 9 months old! We will do the same this year (but she can "sign her name" haha) and as she gets older, she will write thank you cards to everyone herself. I don't blame you at all for not spending a million dollars on all the kids in the family who are getting so much stuff anyway that they probably won't even notice what you got them.

    We are doing the same thing as far as family gifts. I was thinking of doing the whole "cookie mix in a jar" thing with a little Christmas fabric cover and cute homemade tag, and maybe a tin of homemade fudge or something. I love all the cookies you have chosen though and might just do that instead. I figure it is something the whole family can enjoy together and it's the thought that counts. Plus that's a lot of TLC to put into a gift. I know I would be more excited about something like that than a gift card or something. Plus if you send it flat rate, it should be there in 2 days and you don't have to worry about them getting stale.

    Anyway, maybe I'm a jerk but if I was having a baby so close to Christmas I would probably use that as an excuse to not do anything for my extended family! haha so good for you for being in the holiday spirit...I love your attitude in this whole post. About Christmas (I am also thrilled to listen to Christmas music while baking) and about moving forward after all the tragedy of the past couple weeks. You are an awesome person, Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I agree, no thank you, no gift.
    2. I'll take some of those cookies! And I'll send you a thank you!
    3. Bake and freeze, just make some room in your freezer.
    4. Personally, I would so much rather have something you made--scrapbook, cookies, than anything yo buy in a store.
    5. Did I mention that I'll take some?

    ReplyDelete