01 October 2011

if you are what you eat...

...then I am a pumpkin!  These past few weeks I have been on a total pumpkin kick.  It still feels like the middle of summer outside (but locals keep talking about how it's cooled down, I guess 100 is cooler than 114) but I am so ready for fall inside.  I don't really decorate much because we don't really do nicknacks and there isn't a place to put them.  Every time I see someone's home decked out I do get super jealous, maybe I need to put up some shelves...

But I digress.

Last weekend I tried out this recipe for pumpkin pie cupcakes, it was a time suck (I think I was at it for almost 2 hours) but so worth it.  They were amazing.  The only changes I would make is making a little more of the graham cracker crust because I had more cupcake filling than I did graham cracker.  And if you wanted to save time I bet you could use a box spice cake.  These got the thumbs up from both Doc and his friend that he brought by for a beer unannounced when my kitchen was a total disaster after work.  These are the cupcakes I made:

Not too far off from the picture on the recipe!
 

This morning I decided that I really wanted pumpkin coffee and I remembered seeing a pumpkin syrup on Pinterest  so I tried this one.  It was okay, I don't think I will be making it again.  I had to add 3 tablespoons to my coffee to taste it and that is more sugar that I like to drink.  Then I got a bunch of it with my last sip, not a nice surprise.  Here is how mine turned out:


Looks nothing like the picture on the recipe but I followed the directions
While I was making this I also made breakfast, of course I made pumpkin pancakes!  I got my recipe here .  They were yummy!  It had been a while since I made them and I forgot they cook slower than regular pancakes so my first batch was a little runny but oh well.  It was funny, Doc saw them and made a face "what am I going to eat?" But he ended up eating more of them than I did!  


TC approves
While looking for a pumpkin pancake recipe I came across one for pumpkin spice cake in my Betty Crocker Cookbook, obviously I had to try that too.  I'm not posting that one, I am sure most of you have that cookbook if you want to find it.  That was super yummy too, I even made my own brown butter frosting!  The frosting was a bit overpowering so I ended up scraping most of it off.  

One day I will learn to frost without getting crumbs everywhere, until that day I will just say it adds character.
So that's pretty much what I've been up to.  I tried to get TC to help me but she almost put the tsp of pumpkin pie spice in her mouth so I would say she's not ready yet.  It is nice to disappear into the kitchen for a bit and have a little time to myself.  And since I don't want to gain 100lbs I will have Doc bring the majority of this cake to work to share with the guys.

Finally, I have Doc take my weekly belly pictures and every week he bitches about it.  He thinks he's funny so he throws a mini (fake) fit every time which takes longer than actually taking the pictures.  Each week I end up with several pictures just like this one.


Thanks Doc, I think I'll frame this one.

5 comments:

  1. All those pumpkin recipes looked so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cupcakes look store bought! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on a pumpkin kick too!
    But the cupcakes I made were pathetically simple and took an entire 30 minutes! How you ask...

    1 box of angel food cake (add water ones)
    1 can of pumpkin puree..

    Mix together, put in cupcake things... heat oven for 350, bake 20 minutes... && BAM pumpkin spice cupcakes for the lazy!!

    Just make a cream cheese frosting, with 4 oz butter, 4 oz of Cream Cheese, 2 cups for Powdered Sugar, 1 tbsp Vanilla ... Mix together (with mixer)... and BAM frosting

    Works great if you have a lazy husband and having pregnancy cravings for Pumpkin cupcakes... Yes I know from experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure have been busy in the kitchen! I need to try some of those recipes to bring a little fall to our desert home too. I suck at buying decorations for the different seasons so the most "fall" we have going on right now is an apple cider scented tart burning. Boring! Oh and that picture of you cracks me up! LOL. Mike takes horrible pictures too. He also likes to be a jerk when asked to take pictures, so he will just snap about 20 in a row before I'm even ready and he doesn't even look through the view finder, so they are all off center and horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks so yummy..im going to try it!! i just recently make a pumpkin cake in a jar for my husbands birthday...turned out awesome!!

    ReplyDelete