11 October 2011

fling with her own wings

As military spouses we spend so much time worried about our husbands, living our lives around them.  Aside from a few grips now and then (no one likes waiting months for your furniture to arrive at your new crappy duty station) we are happy to do it.  Like any other marriage we love them men we've chosen to spend our lives with and if putting up with deployments and moves is what we have to do to be with them so be it.

When they are away we worry.  We worry about that next phone call.  We worry about missions.  We worry about what we are doing on the home front, is it enough to make him proud.  We worry if they will come back and then we worry about when.  We worry about who will be coming back to us.  We worry about them worrying about us.  With all of this we forget that we are human too.

I've written about Laura before, she found my blog during Doc's first deployment.  Her husband was going through his first deployment.  She inspired me with not just her dedication to her husband but also her dedication to herself.  I've always been in awe of runners since my shins make it very hard for me.  She was one of the first to congratulate me on my pregnancy with TC and has always been supportive.  Her blog entries always made me smile and many times actually laugh out loud.

When she told us she was sick last November it was shocking.  She's one of the strong ones.  She runs and takes care of her self - hell, she's an army wife we hear all the time how strong we are.  I guess our bodies and our minds often aren't on the same page.  Even from the hospital she has been a source of strength and inspiration.  I encourage you to check out her CaringBridge page if you haven't.

Today her father posted that after fighting many obstacles since her bone marrow transplant in August that the fight is almost over, Laura cannot fight any more.  My heart is just breaking for her entire family, especially her husband Matt. 

Although I never met Laura face to face the mil spouse community is a tight knit one and the mil spouse blogger community is even tighter.  When I speak about her I call her a friend because that is truly what she feels like.

I know you will never read this Laura but thank you for everything.  Your grace and strength were obvious well before your diagnosis.  You have touched my life in a way you will never know and I will be eternally grateful.  You fought a good fight and now is the time to rest.  You named your blog "Alis volat propriis" which is Latin for "She Flies With Her Own Wings" and soon you will.  



10 comments:

  1. I've been following your blog for a while but I don't think i've ever posted...(I'm an army wife too.) This post saddens me :( I just read parts of her blog, my prayers are with her family and friends..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said exactly the words I was thinking, down to the reference to her blog title. Laura truly does fly with her own wings, and we are all so lucky to have known her, even if it was only via her blogs.

    Sending a big hug your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, Amber! Laura is an amazing woman. I've been fortunate to not only meet her, but call her a dear friend too. She's an inspiration. She's a fighter. She's funny. She's brave.

    Thanks for posting this!
    Jessica B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said friend! I have not been fortunate enough to meet her in person, but spent many days e-mailing with her and chit chatting on each other's blogs. She really is such an inspiration and I have been in disbelief all day over her father's post. I am praying for her and her family and also for all of the people who are experiencing the pain of such a great loss. She has touched us all and made such a difference in all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've followed her blog for years (since the blog she had before this one). My hearts just breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my heart hurts to hear this story but i will deff be praying for the family and for god to give them oeace and to heal Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  7. laura is actually one of my close real life friends - a wonderful friend that i met through blogging, we grew so close during our husbands' first deployment and then we ran the army 10 miler together, and we were actually here (at my husbands current duty station) together, hanging out every day before she got sick.

    It's nice to see that she touched so many.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No no no!! I hadn't heard this and I'm almost physically sick right now. I'm so so sorry to hear this. Lola was always someone I looked forward to hearing from, seeing her witty posts and emails. She is SUCH an inspiration. My heart hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Amber, I'm sorry that you are losing a dear friend, and that your community is losing such an amazingly strong woman. My thoughts are with her family and you, her friends. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura was a friend in college and we later stayed connected via the blog world. I've been following her Facebook and CaringBridge pages and its so wonderful to see how many lives she touched. What a wonderful and beautiful woman, wife, daughter, sister, and friend.

    ReplyDelete